Entering parenthood from being a couple can sometimes become challenging especially if it is your first baby. Caring for a newborn will take a lot of time and energy which ultimately might end up the couple not having enough time for each other.
Having a mental disorder during the perinatal period doesn’t mean that someone is a bad parent. There are multiple risk factors involved with poor mental health during this period, some of which are,
- History of mental health issues run in the family
- Mental disorders before pregnancy
- Adverse childhood experiences
- Living conditions which are stressful
- Lack of support from family and partner
Before entering parenthood it is always better that you talk to your partner about
- The life changes the baby will bring
- How the relationship between the two of you should nurture
- The amount of support each other would require in bringing up the baby
- How you would identify if you or your partner is going through depression
- How you both should communicate well to avoid any conflict
If someone is already having a mental disorder with this significant life change, before looking at getting support of a therapist consider solving the issue internally by taking time to relax with some time for leisure, eat healthy and lead an active lifestyle. Family members and friends can always be of great help, talk to them and ask for help. Research yourself and find out the best ways you can overcome the issues arising from the life changes.
Those who are finding it difficult to cope with life transitions may find it helpful to see a therapist. Any kind of therapy can be beneficial to a person trying to cope with life transition becoming a parent. When changes in your life become difficult and lead to stress, anxiety, or depression, our professional therapists can help you find a way to manage and explore coping strategies. Contact Monique Deely, LCSW, specialised child, adolescent and adult Therapist at McLean Counseling Center for more information about how to adjust to life changes.